Jan 14, 2014
Meet Chuck Kuan. I met him on Facebook and he asked if we offered internships. I said, do you know that we are a zine? And he said yes but he still wanted to be our intern anyway, so he's the coolest. Let's learn more about our dear intern Chuck. I have never met him but I think he's a star.
1. How did you find out about the Runcible Spoon? Why did you want to intern for us?
I found the zine while reading about some food book fair that I (in the typical Chuck manner) found out about only after it ended. Not only do I like collaging a lot, I also kind of "pretend cook" a lot of the times, so it seems like a really good match.
2. What is your day gig? (Student, traveling magician, mouse?)
Actually I'm a disillusioned psychology student trying to find interesting, non-psychology, paper-related things to do.
3. What kind of experience do you want to get out of an internship with a zine about fake recipes?
Food is about storytelling and I guess because Runcible Spoon is about fake recipes the boundaries are limitless! I want to and I think I will have a lot of fun!
4. What meal would you like to eat before you die?
Serious questions need serious answers– I would like to go to Fäviken, but hopefully it wouldn't be me paying for it.
5. What's the worst thing you've ever put into your mouth?
A LOT of asian pickled foods aren't really for human consumption I think. Simply vile.
6. What's your approach when it comes to cooking?
When in doubt, make it Asian! Use mirin, hondashi, gochujang, miso, etc. Honestly that's why if I don't follow a recipe things kind of all taste the same.
7. Say something about yourself in 4 1/2 words
Eating // all the time
Welcome Chuck! Don't ever spell his last name like "Kwan" or "Kwon." It's "Kuan." Follow him on Twitter here.
Don't forget our other intern Hollis!